Monday, May 20, 2013

Spring vase

To be honest, I can't even remember how I got this vase. It was just one of those things that has been around forever and I hardly ever used. I liked it, but I'm not one to buy fresh flowers very often, so having an empty vase sitting on a counter seemed pretty pointless. 


I really can't believe I didn't think of doing this earlier because I've seen multiple versions of this project, but I finally decided to give it a try. 

http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2009/03/five-dollar-spring-projects.html


The materials I used were a 30 cm/12 inch vase, a hot glue gun (FINALLY decided to face my fears), two hot glue sticks, garden scissors, jute (10 meters/33 feet), and flowers. 


I initially underestimated the amount of jute I would need. I think I first got about 5 meters/16 feet of it, thinking I could store whatever was left, and I had to go back to the store for twice as much. So if you have a vase of a different size, definitely buy more than you think you're going to need. 

The process was really simple. I just hot glued the jute very tightly around the vase. I've also seen it done with double-sided tape. Remember to hot glue the jute all around the bottom of the vase, so it won't slide off. 

I got the flowers at Aliss after much deliberation. I was looking for white peonies, but these felt really soft and high quality for a fraction of the price of the white ones. If you're after white though, Cemaco has some and Pottery Barn also has some really nice ones on sale right now ;)
 

I liked that the project wasn't very time consuming, maybe half an hour in total, and that I can remove the jute if I get tired of it or want to die it a different color for a special occasion.


No comments:

Post a Comment